Why is the Holocaust called the Holocaust?-learning something new (series)

Hello Jujubears and welcome to another blog post,

Today, I will be continuing on from last week's blog post,http://jujupage1sblog.blogspot.co.uk/2018/02/finding-something-new-to-study.html and answering the question 'why is the Holocaust called the Holocaust?'.
 So I searched up this question and it lead me to a number of different websites on the topic. The first one said:
This usage came about gradually. The lower-case "holocaust" has described the violent deaths of large groups of people probably since the 18th century, according the Oxford English Dictionary.
I decided to check out some other websites to see some different opinions. Wikipedia said that the word 'Holocaust' originated from the Greek term 'Holokausten' which meant "a completely (holos) burnt (kaustos) sacrificial offering," . However, the Holocaust in the 20th century involved 'no sacrificial offering'  argue some of the Jewish leaders, so I think (don't grant me on this one) that people are contemplating wether or not it should be called the Holocaust.
 I decided to consult the Google definition for the word 'Holocaust' just to confirm some of my research. It said:


Overall, I think the word Holocaust was used to describe the mass slaughter/destruction of the Jewish population. It's Greek origins also say that it has something to do with mass slaughter as well but perhaps not necessarily with the Jewish population. And maybe, some Jewish leaders are contemplating on wether or not  you should call the 20th century Holocaust the Holocaust because it has nothing to do with sacrificial offerings as perhaps said in it's Jewish origins.

I don't know. What do you think? Leave a comment down below letting me know,

See you next time,

Bye

XOX, Juju

Links:

Comments

Followers

Popular posts from this blog

Oti and Kelvin's epic Samba and Will and Janette's insane quickstep on week 1- Dance Saturday

Getting my first pair of ballroom shoes!👠

Week 1 update - My Portugal Holiday

Blogmas day 4- decorating the Christmas tree-what a nightmare!⛄🌲