Charlotte Brontë- The power of writing

Hello everybody and welcome back to another blog post,

Victorian Britain was, as many would say, unfair,cruel and harsh. It is a fact that women were discriminated in the sense that they did not have a voice or the power to act on problems in society. Victorian Britain and other countries too, were very patriarchal. This is particularly apparent during the life of Charlotte Bronte.

 On the 21st of April 1816 was the birth of Charlotte Bronte.  In her early life, Charlotte dedicated her life to teach children and her family. She returned to Haworth where her sister's opened a school but failed to get students. Therefore, she and her sister's turned to writing.

 She and her sister's hid their true identities. Charlotte concealed her name under the pseudonym Currer Bell in a bid to sell her books.  They believed that concealing their names under a male identity would get their books to sell. This is one of the major signs of a patriarchal society during the Victorian times. But why did she start writing in the first place?

Most fiction authors write to reflect on the problems in their life or in their society. My theory is, it did not matter wether Charlotte and her sister's had to conceal their names, as long as they could write a book that meant something to people and would hopefully change their society for good. Although her books like The Professor and Jane Eyre were not well received in her time, in today's society her books have struck a massive chord. This is because we can now see the contrast between Victorian society and modern day society, and we are grateful to live in a society that is at least a little more accepting.  So does this make her writing powerful? I think it does.

What was Charlotte's motive behind writing? Let me know in the comments below and I will be sure to reply to them.

See you next time,

Bye,

XOX, Juliette

Follow to become a #pagetrouper and to join the pagetrouper fam!

Charlotte Bronte info:
Charlotte Bronte life: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlotte_Brontë

Social media:
Instagram📷:https://www.instagram.com/jujupage1/
My YouTube channel🎥: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCKEX1pHN4sytO9Kp4epXuHQ

Other blog:
My book review blog📓: https://jujupage1sbookreviews.blogspot.com

Comments

  1. I don't know if there is a "motive" behind writing. I think if there is a story to tell and you can do it, that is your motive. I have lots of stories inside of me, but don't know how to get them onto paper. I am glad to be living when I do. I think women had it very badly in the past. They were literally the property of their fathers and then their husbands just as if they were slaves. We have it great compared to the women of the past.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes that is true. I suppose anything creative like writing can not be forced from the mind. For writing, if there is a story to tell i'm sure one way or another it will find its way to paper.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving your comments! I really enjoy reading your positive and constructive messages. They really make my day! 💜

Followers

Popular posts from this blog

The individuals of the Holocaust: The victims and the perpetrators - Writing Wednesday

The difference between the conscious and the subconscious - Writing Wednesday

What I'm hoping to talk about in my English speaking exam- Writing Wednesday