Watching Billy Elliot - Dance Saturday

Hello everybody and welcome back to another blog post, 

Last week, I watched Billy Elliot with my family. This was one of those many dance films that I've wanted to watch for a while but I've never had the chance to. Now that I'm 15, I guess I can handle a bit of the bad language. To be fair, there was quite a lot of swearing in the film but aside from that, the story was still really good and quite funny. It's about a boy called Billy, who sees this group of ballet dancers at the gym, whilst he's practicing boxing, and he becomes inspired to start dance. It's quite funny because his dad was expecting him to continue doing boxing and suddenly on one occasion, he walks into the gym and sees his son doing ballet and is just completely enraged by it. However, what I think I liked the most about the film was the representation of a dancer's sacrifice to become something big. In the film, Billy does not come from a rich family background, in fact his mother died and his father was working in the coal mines in the 1980s so there was really a lot of struggle within their family. However, his dance teacher sees potential in him and even describes him as the "young Jean Kelley," and this propels him to audition for the Royal Ballet. Although his family were expecting him to become a coal miner like the rest of them, he actually turns it down and trains hard to become a ballet dancer and he succeeds at it. The story as a whole I suppose was quite inspirational because you see a lot of dancers with the support of their family and money behind them. In Billy's case his family didn't initially support the idea because he was a boy in dance and his family couldn't support him because money was tight. However, I think that if you have the talent and the overall work ethic, there's nothing you can't do. After auditioning for the Royal Ballet, Billy's talents were recognised and that was how he managed to secure a place. Dance is unfortunately one of those careers that needs quite a lot of money to back it up for the equipment and training. Despite this, I think that what became quite evident from this film is that no matter what background you come from, if you work hard and never give up, you can still become a great dancer. This film really celebrates the diversity of people in the dance industry and that's why I would recommend watching it. It's also really funny too so if you want to watch something that boosts your spirits as well, I would recommend watching this film because it's really good.

Movieclips


Have you ever watched Billy Elliot? Let me know in the comments below and I'll be sure to reply to them. I ♡ hearing from you! 

Tap one of the reaction boxes below to let me know what you thought of this post. It would really help me to make some improvements in the future! 

Be sure to follow and subscribe so that you don't miss anymore of my brilliant posts and share this article with a friend who might enjoy it too! 

See you next time, 

Bye,

XOX, Juliette

Video channel links:
Movieclips

My social media handles:
My Instagram
My YouTube channel 

My second blog:
The Book Hub

Comments

Followers

Popular posts from this blog

100 years later- Gone but never forgotten- Remembrance day special

What I got for Christmas 2017

Finding something new to study

Amy and Karim's amazing foxtrot and Emma and Anton's beautiful foxtrot - Dance Saturday