The Crown series review - Writing Wednesday

Hello everybody and welcome back to another blog post,

Thank you for your viewership and your support in yesterday's blog post. It was supposed to go out on Monday but I guess finding the right words in these sorts of situations takes time. I'm happy to have shared the message though. It has made me feel a lot better. If you want to read that post, please click the link at the bottom of this page.

However, in light of yesterday's blog post, I wanted to deliver something a little bit more cheerful for today's edition. As I've briefly mentioned before, me, my mum, and my sister have all been watching the British Netflix series, The Crown. I was recommended The Crown by some friends who are big fans of the series and so far, it has been brilliant. Granted, it's not everyone's cup of tea. My dad doesn't watch this because royalty isn't really his thing and I know a lot of other people would be put off by that aspect as well. However, it is actually surprisingly interesting because of all the historical information it gives alongside the tenuous story of Britain's modern monarchy. If you haven't already guessed, The Crown is about the life of Queen Elizabeth II from right when she married Prince Philip of Mountbatten, the Duke of Edinburgh, in 1947, to the later years of the 20th century. It talks a lot about the purpose of the crown in more modern society, the stresses of the duty of being Queen, and how it binds British culture. The series also includes events such as the death of Elizabeth's father, George VI, as well as the many scandals surrounding Elizabeth's sister, Princess Margaret. In this series there is family drama, thwarted love, political rivalries, and significant historical events and I think that that's what makes it so entertaining. Since my family is not entirely British, I wasn't as up to date with the history surrounding the monarchy and its dynasty so I was pleasantly surprised that I actually learnt so much from just watching The Crown. For example, not to give too much away but I never knew that King George VI's brother, Edward VIII, actually turned his back on his own country and affiliated himself with Hitler and the Nazi regime during the war. I also didn't know that Prince Philip of Mountbatten had once lived in Nazi Germany himself as a young boy and at one point, had received a Nazi education. These facts coupled with the family tensions, actually make this series rather entertaining. It isn't all about the war as well, you can see a sense of fear at the imminent arrival of communism as the years move closer to the Cold War. For someone who's currently studying 20th century based history as a part of her college course, I'm thoroughly enjoying this. It recaps my knowledge on many other events. For my mum and my sister, they love The Crown because I think they like the drama surrounding the Royal family. My mum got obsessed with the other royal series, Victoria, and now I think she can't stop singing, Haalleluuujaah! 🤣

Netflix


Rotten Tomatoes TV


Have you watched The Crown before? Let me know in the comments below and I'll be sure to reply to them. I ♡ hearing from you!

Tap one of the reaction boxes below to let me know what you thought of this post. It would really help me to make some improvements in the future!

Be sure to follow and subscribe so that you don't miss any more of my brilliant posts and share this article with a friend who might enjoy it too!

See you next time, 

Bye,

XOX, Juliette

Video channel links:

My social media handles:

My second blog:

Previous post:

Comments

Followers

Popular posts from this blog

100 years later- Gone but never forgotten- Remembrance day special

Finding something new to study

What I got for Christmas 2017

Entering the real world - Lifestyle Monday