The IB dance performance solo + commercial piece - Dance Saturday

Hello everybody and welcome back to another blog post, 

As you all know, for the practical section of the IB Dance course, you are required to film a solo, duet, and group piece. A few months ago now, I filmed the rock 'n roll duet with my partner and it went really well. We had lots of energy and I think we came up with a really fun routine overall. More recently, we filmed our solos and the commercial piece. The solo was choreographed by my dance teacher Orris and a guest teacher called Kate. At first, I wasn't particularly fond of the routine because it was a contemporary routine and well, we always do contemporary. My initial dislike for the choreography was probably visible in the rehearsal process because I don't think I gelled with it at all. However, as the lessons where we were learning the routine went by, I gradually grew to like the choreography and I think I really found myself in the movements in the end. Kate told us that in order for us to get the best out of the routine, we had to link it to our own personal experiences so that it became meaningful. I don't know what experiences I exactly linked the routine to (maybe my intense dislike for the IB, if I'm being completely honest ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ’œ) but whatever it was, clearly it worked out because my dance teacher Orris said it was the best he had ever seen me dance. He said I had great lines, great extension, great intensity, great impact, and good facial expressions and my friends who sat and watched me dance, seemed to enjoy the performance too which was nice to hear. You can see me rehearsing my solo here. The commercial routine went okay. The routine was choreographed for the 2021 summer showcase so some of my friends already knew the choreography when we were rehearsing it because they had already performed it. I however, had not performed the routine for the summer showcase so I was learning a lot of the movement from my friends. I really enjoyed the routine because it was fun, energetic, and quite sassy and I picked it up fairly quickly but on the day that we were filming it, we had limited space to move in the studio because we had to fit everyone in the frame of the camera. As a result, I felt I was dancing a bit small a lot of the time which I think impacted my intensity and my facial expressions. We ended up filming the routine twice and the second round was definitely a lot better than the first round intensity wise. However, I'm not sure exactly how well I did but we'll just have to wait and see. Overall, I think as a class, we certainly showed the greatest range in terms of dance styles when I came to the practical section because we did rock 'n roll, contemporary, and commercial. I think whatever happens, I know my abilities as a dancer and I'm proud of my progress. It was great fun getting to practice these different dance styles. Now it's just the IB Dance Investigation that needs to be handed in and then the course is finished!

Which dance style (rock 'n roll, contemporary, or commercial) do you prefer? Let me know in the comments below and I'll be sure to reply to them. I ♡ hearing from you!

Be sure to click the follow button below to keep up to date with my posts!

If you support my blog and love posts like this, then also please do not forget to subscribe through the form above this post as you'll be able to receive notifications via email every time I post. I promise that you won't regret it! ๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ’œ

See you next time, 

Bye,

XOX, Juliette

My social media handles:

My second blog:

Previous post:

Comments

Followers

Popular posts from this blog

100 years later- Gone but never forgotten- Remembrance day special

What I got for Christmas 2017

My goals mood board- Lifestyle Monday

Finding something new to study