Not being afraid to be who you are - Writing Wednesday

Hello everybody and welcome back to another blog post,

Recently, I went to the Cambridge Open Studios and visited a house that I've driven past a lot of times but have never actually been in before. It's called the Wooden House and there's a big yellow tower that you can see emerging from the trees. At first, I thought it was a house full of crazy people because it was quite an out-there place. However, when we parked up and began walking up the garden path, we were welcomed by a overpowering view of colour and art. 

Everything that was made had reused parts to it. There was a fish outside made out of scrap metal and inside it, it had old harmonicas so that when there was a strong wind, the fish would make music. Inside, we were met with a lady who made a living by selling her beautiful homemade crockery. She showed us how to put coloured pieces of transfer paper onto plates and fire them in a kiln to produce a beautiful art-deco style. Whilst she was talking, I couldn't help looking around in awe at the vibrant coloured walls of the house and the overall higgledy-piggledy look of the surroundings. 

After the demonstration, we were allowed to look around the place and walking past the blue painted stairs, I saw the old Victorian paintings of the couple's relatives. They were to be auctioned off and sold to a pub to be named after them and no one would have known who they were. However, the couple saved them and they forever remain on their wall by the staircase. We also saw the coffee table that was made from an old metal wheel barrow with a cut strip of glass on top. They made it so that the could move it about the place. I also saw the black and white photographs of I believe, the couple, when they were young. 

After visiting the house, we went outside into the husband's workshop. That was impressive too. The whole room was filled with old parts of different things like the different parts of the farming machinery. The husband had built a Pterodactyl kite himself, which he had flown on a beach in the past, with a family. He was also in the process of building a metal giraffe which he wove measuring tapes into because giraffes are all about height. We also went into his "thinking room" next door and saw all his ideas spread out on the wall by his desk. It was truly inspiring.

After leaving that place, I and everybody else, had realised we made a stereotypical judgement of this place. We thought it was a place full of crazy people but we realised it was a place where two inspiring people lived who were not afraid to be themselves. Their whole house was like a story. Everything had a strategic place and held something of importance to them. It didn't have Ikea furniture or a sofa that meant nothing. When we asked them about something in the room, there was always a back story that they were willing to tell. Unlike a lot of people, they chose not to follow the crowd and only chose to listen to themselves and what they wanted to do. That's something that we, including me, can all learn from.


Have you ever seen something or someone that was original and that inspired you? Let me know in the comments below and I'll be sure to reply to them. I ♡ hearing from you!

See you next time,

Bye,

XOX, Juliette

My social media handles:
My Instagram
My YouTube channel

My second blog:
The Book Hub

Comments

  1. What an interesting place to visit! I am so glad you went and told us about it. You are so right about people being themselves. Too many times we try to be someone we are not. I would so love to see this house, but I feel as if I've been there by you writing about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes, it was spectacular and I'm sure you would have loved it.

      Delete
  2. The world would be a better place if more people used their creativity to make things that are beautiful and meaningful to them. How wonderful that they opened up their home to you!
    It's easy to judge people but it is seldom wise.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving your comments! I really enjoy reading your positive and constructive messages. They really make my day! 💜

Followers

Popular posts from this blog

Durham - Lifestyle Monday

Good things to gift to dancers for birthdays - Dance Saturday

The exams are over...So the gap year begins...What will come of the future?

Is The Greatest Showman all that it seems to be?-Writing Wednesday