My IB dance mock exam results + my first dance audition - Dance Saturday

Hello everybody and welcome back to another blog post,

As you all know, on the Friday just before the May half term, I did my first IB dance mock exam! For the exam, I had to choreograph my own 2 minute solo in any style, based on a given stimulus. In the end, I choreographed a contemporary routine to the song Joy by Katie Melua and my stimulus was a text and direction (as seen below). I performed my solo in front of my dance teacher, who had filmed it to send off to my other dance teacher. I ended up having to film my dance twice because the first time I filmed my solo, it was going really well but I had a mind blank in the middle of the routine and forgot some of the choreography! Nooo! 😂💜 Luckily, this didn't have any affect on my overall grade and I was able to do it again. The second time I did the wrong movement in one section and tried to cover it up. I performed the rest of the routine well and I was happy with how I did, despite having to start again. At the end of the day, I felt a sense of pride and a sense of accomplishment after having performed my piece. I was a bit annoyed at myself for not getting it right on the first go when I knew that I had the potential to do so. However, taking into consideration the fact that I only just got back into dancing properly after 4 months of online learning at the beginning of the year, performing a solo that I choreographed in 2 hours, was a big achievement for me. 

In tutor time on Tuesday, I opened my May 2021 mock exam results. Before I went to school that day, I was a bit anxious to get my results as I really wanted to do well. As I was cycling into college, I was taking deep breaths, trying to calm my nerves. When the teacher handed out the papers, I opened mine and saw that for IB dance I got a 5b. I was happy that I passed the exam but I did feel a little bit disheartened because I knew that I could have got at least a grade higher. When I went home that day, I was a bit upset about my performance in dance but my mum said that the grade is not a measure of how good I am as a dancer. I also told my sister my result later that day and she said that in year 12, she was getting lots of merits for her art work but it was only in year 13 when she began to hit the distinction level. My mum and my sister are probably right. This was my first go and for a first attempt, I didn't do too badly. If I also measure all my abilities as a dancer, on solely my grade, I would be setting my standards pretty low for myself. I love to dance and that is the most important thing. Next time, I will definitely be reaching for the level 6, which is what my teachers predicted for me anyway!😂💜

*

On Monday I also did my first ever dance audition and it went great. The audition was for a hip-hop piece that the year 14s choreographed for the end of year dance show that shall be happening in July. They were looking for 4 extra dancers to be in their piece so in a way, it was competitive. However, my dance teacher also made the audition fairly informal by getting the year 14s to workshop the routine with us, which he would watch later on. This made the process a little less nerve-wracking. We didn't have long to learn the routine and it was quite a quick routine, but it was still fun to learn  nevertheless. There were 4 year 12 students, including me, at the audition and a group of year 13s there too. At the end of the 30 minute session, we performed the routine together and everyone did great. Weirdly, when I performed the routine without the year 14s in front of me, I nailed it. However, when I performed the routine with them in front of me, I kind of messed up a bit. 😂 It didn't really matter because at least I proved that I was able to do the routine on my own. On Tuesday I found that I didn't get into the hip-hop number but I didn't mind too much because it was my first audition and I just wanted to get the experience. Plus, there were so many other amazing dancers there that I didn't even compare! 😂💜 If there are more auditions for the dance show in the future, I'll definitely give it another go anyway.

Have you ever auditioned for anything before? Let me know in the comments below and I'll be sure to reply to them. I ♡ hearing from you!

Important note: Unfortunately, Blogger is disabling the follow by email/subscribe widget on all blogs from July 2021. I will save all the emails from those who have subscribed but for now if you want to keep up to date with my posts, please click the follow button at the very bottom of this post to get updates via Blogger of when I upload. Or follow me via Instagram/Facebook to get updates on my stories of when I post on this blog. The links are below. ⬇️👇

See you next time, 

Bye,

XOX, Juliette 

My social media handles:

My second blog:

Previous post:

Comments

Followers

Popular posts from this blog

What I'm hoping to talk about in my English speaking exam- Writing Wednesday

Charlotte Brontë- The power of writing

The individuals of the Holocaust: The victims and the perpetrators - Writing Wednesday

The difference between the conscious and the subconscious - Writing Wednesday