"Most people do not listen with the intent to understand, they listen with the intent to reply"- Writing Wednesday

Hello everybody and welcome back to another blog post,

In all aspects of the history of humanity, we've learnt to act with urgency and to reply to what is deemed to be negativity. I suppose it doesn't just only continue from the creation of man, it also expands down to our late hominem ancestors that out of survival, learnt to attack the attackers. However, a couple billion years later, a more civilised society of homo sapiens sprung. The ones who sit, eat, and behave sensibly. 

Yet, what hasn't changed, is the will to stop others from talking. In the past, we may have attacked other species of animal because they were physically attacking us but now, we attack because we mentally cannot accept that one owns a contrasting view to the other. When we hear the opposing view, it's like sirens in our ears that warns us to shut them down. Like the Berlin Blockade of 1948, many of us blockade the sound of the opposing view with our own jibberish that means the debater cannot get a word out in edge ways. 

I've been observing the world for nearly 15 years now and I've seen this hate crime being used far to often. The saddest part of it all is that we've genuinely lost the ability to listen to what others are saying. People are shut down not necessarily because what they're saying is wrong but because no one can find 5 minutes of their time to listen to them. Just imagine how many people would have been saved had the public listened to the small minority of people that were against the Nazis. Would there be a Holocaust? Would there be a war? When power is in our grasp, it is very easy to shut someone up. This is why, despite disagreeing with the Qur'an, I did not stop someone from preaching it out on the streets of London the other day when I went to Oxford Street. Because if we don't listen, we could be censoring valuable information that can change the world. Please allow me to see more people taking the time to listen to each other. 

"Most people do not listen with the intent to understand, they listen with the intent to reply"- Stephen R. Covey

When have you heard an opposing viewpoint that made you think differently? Let me know in the comments below and I'll be sure to reply to them. I ♡ hearing from you!

See you next time,

Bye,

XOX, Juliette

My social media handles:
My Instagram
My YouTube channel

My second blog:
The Book Hub

Comments

Followers

Popular posts from this blog

My favourite jokes-from Harry Hill's whopping great joke book

Blogmas is back!- Lifestyle Monday

What I got in my dance medal test- Dance Saturday

My short story- You guys choose the title-Writing Wednesday