Debate: Is homeschooling better than traditional schooling? - Writing Wednesday

 Hello everybody and welcome back to another blog post, 

I was searching up popular debate topics on the internet since so many of you really enjoyed my last debate post about should make-up be allowed in school? You can read that here if you haven't done so already. However, on my hunt for another debate topic, I found another brilliant one and it is, is homeschooling better than traditional schooling?

Now, I've always been a firm believer in the statement that school is based entirely on what you choose to make of it and I think that this has got a lot to do with this question. I know one of my old friends went to this school in the area that had a pretty bad reputation, or so everyone said, and despite that, she was always top of the class when she moved to my school and she was always a diligent student. I know also that apparently, one of my dad's colleagues went to study at Eaton and still managed to fail all of his GCSEs. Although I've heard some stories about homeschooling being an absolutely terrible thing, I also remember seeing this family on Ben Fogle's New Lives in the Wild and the parents had always homeschooled their children after moving to the woods in Canada. To me, their children seemed more intelligent and relaxed than some other kids I know.

The truth is, it's not about where you go or what you do, as long as the type of school that you're attending enables you, at the very least, to grow as an individual and do your best, you will end up succeeding and that's really all that matters. That's what I mean by the statement that school is what you choose to make of it and I think it's the strongest answer to the question, is homeschooling better than traditional schooling? To me, no schooling is better than another. Would I like to be doing homeschooling? No, because I think I would prefer to be in an environment where I can challenge myself to not only push myself in lessons, but to also talk to as many different types of people as I can. That's why I like the school that I'm at now because it's international and I can push myself to talk to people from different cultural backgrounds and in turn, in my humble opinion, that makes me a more aware and intelligent person, which can only better me and others around me for the future.

However, that doesn't mean that if I had to do homeschooling, that I couldn't become intelligent in other ways. Homeschooling is different to traditional schooling and although that also comes with disadvantages, there are also many other advantages that can be contended with. If I had to do homeschooling, although I wouldn't like it as much as going to public school, if I choose to look at what I can get out of the education, I'm sure I'll soon realise that I will develop my skills in self-organisation, independent learning, independent research, applicable knowledge, and a whole heaping tone of other things that we wouldn't even be thinking about. Throughout lockdown, this is what I had to do and I truly believe that looking at homeschooling in a more positive light, really allowed me to work hard and get the good GCSE results that I did.

Overall, I do not believe that there's a "one size fits all" type of policy when it comes to education. A certain type of education will only be better in the eyes of the individual, therefore, homeschooling is not better than traditional schooling and traditional schooling isn't better than homeschooling. There is always a preferable choice for the individual but any education has the potential to better a person, as long as that person chooses and has the ability to get the most out of it.

What's your view on this question? Is homeschooling better than traditional schooling? Let me know in the comments below and I'll be sure to reply to them. I ♡ hearing from you! 

Tap one of the reaction boxes below to let me know what you thought of this post. It would really help me to make some improvements in the future! 

Be sure to follow and subscribe so that you don't miss anymore of my brilliant posts and share this article with a friend who might enjoy it too! 

See you next time, 

Bye,

XOX, Juliette

My social media handles:

My second blog:

Previous post:

Comments

Followers

Popular posts from this blog

The individuals of the Holocaust: The victims and the perpetrators - Writing Wednesday

The difference between the conscious and the subconscious - Writing Wednesday

What I'm hoping to talk about in my English speaking exam- Writing Wednesday

Charlotte Brontë- The power of writing