Should makeup be allowed in school? - Writing Wednesday

 Hello everybody and welcome back to another blog post,

A while ago, I watched a good debate on This Morning about whether or not students should be allowed to wear makeup in school. The debate was between a mother and a headteacher and the mother argued that makeup should be allowed in school because her daughter felt more confident with makeup on in school and therefore found it easier to concentrate in lessons with it on. She said that at her last school, her daughter was constantly put in detentions for wearing too much makeup and bullied for her skin and so the mother got her to change school because she didn't agree with their policies. However, the headteacher argued against that and said that only light makeup should be worn if any as it is good for students to feel confident in themselves and in the school environment and they shouldn't waste time on putting it on every morning. She did also say that if students do have skin issues, they should talk to their GP and get proper treatment instead of wearing a lot of makeup in school. I don't know why I'm doing this post now but since I've finished secondary school, I thought it would be interesting for you to see my take on the argument since I've seen the situation myself in my own school.

This Morning

I can completely understand where the mother in this debate is coming from. If you have really bad acne, especially as a teenager, it can really put you down and lower your confidence. The mother said that her daughter had a bit of acne and felt more uplifted by wearing a light coverage of foundation. A lot of teenagers her age do and do result to makeup because it can make them feel a lot better about themselves. 

However, there is also the argument that students should be encouraged to feel confident and comfortable in their own skins, without feeling the need to cover all their spots and insecurities up. In school, you're there to work and you're not there to look great or wonderful because it's not a fashion show, it's a place of education. Although the mother says that her daughter works best when she's wearing makeup, I feel like that is slightly contradictory because to me, it shows that she's more concentrated on her appearance than on her own work. It is also more of a way to appease her daughter than to actually help her. Although I'm sure the mother cares about her child, by allowing her daughter to wear makeup as a way to purely build up her confidence, she's allowing her daughter to put what she looks like first over her education. If anything, like the head teacher said, you would probably have to worry less about school if you didn't have to think about getting up early to put on your makeup in the morning. If you do have any skin issues, like her daughter did, it would be better to speak to a GP or dermatologist to get necessary treatment but it's also not healthy to cover your face all the time with makeup because it blocks your pores and causes more breakouts. It's important to let your skin breath sometimes and not wear make-up.

I would go on further to say that by even allowing students to wear a light covering of makeup, it is easier for students to bend the rules and wear more than what the policy states. Although many headteachers, like the one on the interview, allow this as a compromising rule for some students, I have seen people at school wear too much and it ends up being a lot for the teachers to deal with because of detentions etc. Although it is difficult to enforce, I think it would be best to wear no make-up in school at all for this reason. I don't have bad skin but I think I have always remained confident in my own appearance because I've never worn makeup in school. There are more fitting occasions to wear makeup like on the weekends, on a night out, or when you're moving up to higher education and are becoming more independent but makeup in secondary school is unnecessary in my opinion.

So, should students wear make-up in school? Personally, I think not but let me know what you think in the comments below.

Do you also want to see more debates like this in the future? Let me know in the comments below and I'll be sure to reply to them. I ♡ hearing from you! 

Tap one of the reaction boxes below to let me know what you thought of this post. It would really help me to make some improvements in the future! 

Be sure to follow and subscribe so that you don't miss anymore of my brilliant posts and share this article with a friend who might enjoy it too! 

See you next time, 

Bye,

XOX, Juliette

Video channel links:

This Morning

My social media handles:

My Instagram

My Facebook

My YouTube channel

My second blog:

The Book Hub - New blog post out here!

Previous post:

Cycling into town! - Lifestyle Monday 

Comments

  1. I am much older and even back in the dinosaur times I wore makeup tp school every day. It was minimal makeup but I still wore it. I don't remember there ever being an issue, but in the entire school I attended (about 2700 students) I don't remember but a couple of females who wore too much. Even back then most people had a 5 minute or under makeup regime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Different schools and different countries have different experiences when it comes to dealing with makeup in school I think. I'm glad that your school had students wearing minimal, care-free makeup but in my school I suppose, I saw quite a few students going overboard with the makeup at one point. I thought it would have been best to just not allow makeup at all because it teaches students self-confidence and value in who they are, without going overboard with the makeup, as they did in my school.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving your comments! I really enjoy reading your positive and constructive messages. They really make my day! 💜

Followers

Popular posts from this blog

My goals mood board- Lifestyle Monday

Finding something new to study

Being a model and role model are two separate things

100 years later- Gone but never forgotten- Remembrance day special