Your ultimate life ambition is often difficult to find - Life After Sixth Form (Post 2) - Lifestyle Monday

Hello everybody and welcome back to another blog post, 

Sometimes I can be critical of other people for being directionless in life but as I'm approaching my final year of sixth form, I can understand why some people still don't know what they want to become. When I was around six years old, I would have probably thought that by now, I would have a crystal clear vision of the career I wanted to have and how I wanted to achieve it. However, I went on a walk recently with my mum around my village and we had a conversation about my future plans. As I mentioned in the last post, I was in the process of writing a personal statement for dance but my mum made me question whether dance was actually the right path. She mentioned that although anything I ultimately chose to do,  she would support, she also did not hesitate to say that the dance industry was incredibly competitive and that a minor injury could prevent me from finishing my degree. For me, this did throw a spanner into the works because I thought that taking dance at university would be the right path for me, but now I'm not 100% sure and on the grand scheme of things, I need to be committed if I am to go to university because it is a big investment.

However, my mum did suggest thinking about taking an academic subject whilst I get some qualifications to become a dance teacher. I'm still not sure if this would be right fit for me either but it is definitely a possibility and it does make sense. For me, when it comes to dance, I'm more interested in teaching than actually performing. That's why I started my own online dance classes to raise money for my expedition to Tanzania because I loved spreading my knowledge on dance to other people. From my research, I gathered that to become a dance teacher, I wouldn't necessarily need to go to university because I could just train for two years alongside a qualified dance teacher at a dance studio. This means that I could have the space to also study something academic as part of an actual degree. For me, at the moment, I would probably study history, if I were to study something academic, because I enjoy learning about it at college and it's a subject that is respected by many employers. So far, I looked at Bath Spa, Aberystwyth, Oxford, and Cambridge University, even though I probably won't make it into the last two universities. ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚ The only problem that I'm having at the moment is working out if the cost of going to university is worth my time and if history is something that I truly want to do. I'm currently writing a personal statement for the subject anyway, just so I can apply to places and give myself options.

But there are even more possibilities! As I'm taking the IB, which is a six subject course, I have a lot more options available for me. As I also have a love for animals and the environment, my mum also suggested that I viewed things from a different angle by looking at animal and wildlife conservation courses. I did some digging on the internet and found an advert from Cumbria Wildlife Trust to become an apprentice conservation officer. The role includes keeping an eye on species populations, cleaning up beaches, writing articles for the trust, and working with local governments and councils to make environmentally-friendly policy changes. Well, I love animals, I've written a few posts on the environment, and I've got a background in science so this could also be an option for me. I will also get paid for my training which is a bonus. I've emailed the trust so that they can give me more information about the placement and how to apply.

As you can tell, there are many things that I could be doing so I'm just going to experiment and see what works for me. I'm a little bit confused about what I want to do at the moment because it's a big decision and I'm deciding what I actually want to do with my life. However, as I've already mentioned, most people do feel like this so I'm not alone. If I'm still undecided about what I want to do, I might just take a year out to work and think about it. Hopefully though, I will have some sort of plan soon, whichever route I decide to take.

Have you got any tips for finding out what you want to do after sixth form? Let me know in the comments below and I'll be sure to reply to them. I ♡ hearing from you!

Be sure to click the follow button below to keep up to date with my posts!

See you next time, 

Bye,

XOX, Juliette

My social media handles:

My second blog:

Previous post:

Comments

Followers

Popular posts from this blog

100 years later- Gone but never forgotten- Remembrance day special

What I got for Christmas 2017

Finding something new to study

Entering the real world - Lifestyle Monday