The story behind the poem: Gold - Writing Wednesday

Hello everybody and welcome back to another blog post, 

A couple of weeks ago, I posted a poem on my Instagtam which used the analogy of gold to describe the journey of success. It seemed as though people liked it and I'm sure many of you are now probably wondering what the poem was about and what inspired me to write it. Well, at school I had been writing my English Higher Level Essay on William Blake's poems and although it took a while for me a while to understand his work (because it was very complicated, in all honesty), I eventually found that I enjoyed analysing the language and techniques that he used to create his work. In the end, I had spent so much time analysing his work that I developed a good understanding of what a poem was supposed to look like and I thought I might as well write my own. And the end result was amazing. I chose gold because its one of those things that people prize over and commodify. In the poem I compare gold to success because I tend to find that we sometimes aim for the sort of surface-level success that's very much similar to the way we treat gold. If you pay close attention to my poem, I describe gold as dust which describes the journey of gold and how it travels from place to place. I then say that the golden dust becomes the closest stars we see in the sky (Proxima Centauri, Alpha Centauri, and Sirius) and there my message is that we should be aiming for the stars instead of extracting this precious mineral from the ground. In the sense, aiming for something is better than trying to achieve the outcome. You can read the full poem here. I got the idea for this poem by observing the events that took place around me. In life I see many people trying to obtain perfection in their lives but it never seems to make them fulfilled because it doesn't generate much meaning. I decided to write this poem to spread the message that meaningful change comes when we aim for the stars but are still willing to remain grounded in who we are. Hence "keeping your eyes on the stars and your feet on the ground."

Have you ever written a poem before? Let me know in the comments below and I'll be sure to reply to them. I ♡ hearing from you!

Be sure to click the follow button below to keep up to date with my posts!

If you support my blog and love posts like this, then also please do not forget to subscribe through the form below this post as you'll be able to receive notifications via email every time I post. I promise that you won't regret it! ๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ’œ

See you next time, 

Bye,

XOX, Juliette

My social media handles:

My second blog:

Previous post:

Comments

Followers

Popular posts from this blog

100 years later- Gone but never forgotten- Remembrance day special

What I got for Christmas 2017

My goals mood board- Lifestyle Monday

Finding something new to study