Trying to put on my kimono and folding it!😂

Hello everybody and welcome back to another blog post,

Over the last half-term, my grandmother came to stay for a couple of days. Most of the time, she likes to bring us presents when she comes because we don't always get to see her. Since she is fully Japanese, she visits Japan to see my great grandmother. This time, when she got there, she bought me and my sister some yukata kimonos. Since we are at the age where we are not still growing rapidly, we can get kimonos since they are difficult to get. My sister got a blue yukata and I got the red yukata.  I think my grand mother chose really nice kimonos that suit our skin tone well! This was the story that I posted on my Instagram. Link below!👇



The thing that you need to remember about kimonos is that you have to remember how to put it on and take it off and fold it. My grandmother will be testing me on this the next time she visits in September. So I decided to put my own skills to the test! I tried putting on and folding my kimono and this was the end result! I think I did okay but I did notice that I didn't  leave excess fabric at the bottom of the sash like in the top picture.


It did take me a while to do since you have to line everything up but I did manage to do it in the end. I first put it on, lined up the corners and then lifted it up off the floor.




Then I wrapped it tightly around me, making sure to line everything up at the bottom.  Then I used one of the pink ties to tie everything up.


Then I put my hands through the slits on the sides of the sleeves to puff everything out and then I added the second tie over that.





Finally, over the top, I added the sash and tied it in a bow at the front.


A kimono must be folded correctly to prevent creasing.  To start I laid out my kimono on my large bedroom floor and folded over the corners at the seams.



Then I dragged the left corner to the right corner, making sure everything was lined up. I then pinched the seam on the left side and dragged it over to the right side.




Then I folded one arm, folded the bottom all the way up to the top, and turned it over to fold the other arm.




The ties should be folded twice and loosely tied. The sash should be folded neatly.


P.s I'm not going to lie, I did have to watch some YouTube videos on how to fold a kimono but I managed to get the hang of it! 

I hope you enjoyed learning how to fold a kimono and a little bit more about it. It is understandable that fewer Japanese people wear kimonos because it doesn't go with the current trend and it takes a long time to put on and put away. However, I do believe that even though people are no longer wearing them, it will still remain a huge part of Japanese history.

How do you  think I did on putting on my kimono? Let me know in the comments below and I will be sure to reply to them.


           vs             


See you next time,

Bye

XOX, Juliette

Social media:
My Instagram📷: https://www.instagram.com/jujupage1/
Check out the kimono image on my highlights!
My YouTube channel🎥: https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCKEX1pHN4sytO9Kp4epXuHQ

Other blog:
My book review blog📓: https://jujupage1sbookreviews.blogspot.com

Comments

  1. Wow I had no idea what went into putting on a kimono. What a lot of work! I really don't fold things well so I don't think that i would pass your grandmother's test.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I know. I don't think I'm going to pass either! This is one of the main reasons that kimonos aren't worn so often. It's because it takes time and effort.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving your comments! I really enjoy reading your positive and constructive messages. They really make my day! 💜

Followers

Popular posts from this blog

What I got in my dance medal test- Dance Saturday

My favourite jokes-from Harry Hill's whopping great joke book

Blogmas is back!- Lifestyle Monday

My short story- You guys choose the title-Writing Wednesday