What is sunning? Strange bird behaviour!

Hello everybody and welcome back to another blog post,

I really like black birds. Even though the eat all the cherries off our tree! They are still friendly birds. We have a specific black bird that always comes into our garden. My parents have been really wanting to get the garden going since the extension on our house. They have been doing a great job and it's nearly ready for vegetables next year! But there is still some digging to do. Every time my dad digs up a patch of the garden, the same black bird is always there to eat the worms. Now it's chicks are all grown up but before, he would feed them to his chicks and they would have intense fights over food. It was quite funny to watch! I've seen the same black bird so many times that I decided to name it as a joke. I named it Sid since it was male.

This was the first time I ever saw the strange bird behaviour! I came home from school and decided to have a foot bath to cool myself down. I sat outside, eating my yogurt as a snack when "Sid" went and perched by the corner of the patio, ruffled up its feathers, sat down, and spread out its wings in the sun. I saw it again the next day and that convinced me that this was strange behaviour. My mum and my dad thought it was to cool down but that didn't make sense to me since it was a black coloured bird in the middle of the sun. I then consulted the internet to find out more information. Many websites said that the act of a bird spreading its wings in the sun is called "sunning." It is said that birds do this to help the flow of compounds in their preening oils. It also helps to dry feather off if a bird has been in water, and it also helps to kill parasites on their feathers. So that is what they were doing!

Have you ever seen this before? Let me know in the comments below and I will be sure to reply to them.

See you next time,

Bye

XOX, Juliette

Social media:
Instagram📷- https://www.instagram.com/jujupage1/
My YouTube channel🎥- https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCKEX1pHN4sytO9Kp4epXuHQ

Other blogs:
My book review blog📓-https://jujupage1sbookreviews.blogspot.com

Article on sunning:
The spruce-https://www.thespruce.com/bird-sunning-386442

Comments

Followers

Popular posts from this blog

What I got in my dance medal test- Dance Saturday

My favourite jokes-from Harry Hill's whopping great joke book

Blogmas is back!- Lifestyle Monday

My short story- You guys choose the title-Writing Wednesday