African Elephants-Lifestyle Monday

Hello everybody and welcome back to another blog post,

It's an animal post this week and today, we are going to be talking about everything African Elephant related! Hope you enjoy :)

African elephants are elephants of the genus Loxodonta which consists of two types of elephants. The first being the most common African bush elephant and second being the smaller African forest elephant. 
 

The bush elephant is the largest living terrestrial elephant whilst the forest elephant is only the third-largest. These elephants have thick bodies that rest upon broad and sturdy legs. Their large ears are used to enable heat loss. The large ears act as cooling aids as they radiate heat from blood vessels and flap their ears to generate cooling air currents. Their upper lip and nose connect to form their trunk. This trunk acts as a fifth-limb,a sound amplifier,and an important method of contact. On average, the African elephant can weigh up to 6000kg or 6.6tons. Another extra fact is that they throw mud on themselves after having had a bath to protect them from the rays of the sun.




From documentaries that I've watched in the past, I know that elephants are very social animals. They love being in a group and close together. As families, I know that the way they work is similar to the way we work as families. They have grandmothers or matriarchs that help the mother's with their newborns to teach them how to look after them properly.

Them being so social and so similar to the way we act is one of the reasons why I cannot see them getting killed. Although African elephants are more abundant than their Asian cousins, they're still receiving the negative side effects of humanity. Due to the ivory trade, there numbers have severely depleted. Although Africa, I believe is getting better, poaching,conflict, and habitat destruction add to their population decrease. 



How do you think we can help elephants? I think that in order to help elephants, we need to give the people of Africa decent jobs so they don't fail into the temptations of to ivory trade. How we do that I do not know, but I would like to see some of your suggestions. Let me know in the comments below and I will be sure to reply to them.

See you next time,

Bye,

XOX, Juliette

Websites used for research + charities:
Wikipedia
WWF

My socials:
My Instagram
My YouTube channel

My second blog:
My book review blog

Comments

Followers

Popular posts from this blog

What I got for Christmas 2017

Is figure skating a dance style? - Dance Saturday

The individuals of the Holocaust: The victims and the perpetrators - Writing Wednesday

500th blog post special: My experience of baby ballet - Dance Saturday