My holiday in the Isle of Wight - Highlights - Lifestyle Monday

Hello everybody and welcome back to another blog post, 

*Firstly, sorry for my slight absence on social media. The Wi-Fi in our cottage was not working for a while so I couldn't post anymore photos or upload blog posts like I'd hoped to during the week. I hope you've managed to catch up on what I got up to on holiday recently. It's nice to take a social media break anyway.

However, if you've read my previous post, you'll know that on Friday I went on holiday to the Isle of Wight. As we couldn't really go to Réunion like we'd planned for this year, me and my family thought it would be a good idea to take a little holiday out and a nice week here seemed like the best plan. My dad has a friend who lives in the Isle of Wight and he had connections with people who owned holiday homes there and since this was the cheapest place out of all the destinations we looked at, we didn't hesitate on going. It was a little bit of a rocky 4 hour drive there because I inconveniently had an upset stomach and I felt a bit car sick but once I saw the island from the ferry, it all went away. What a lovely island it was to be on and not too bad of a trip, considering the current situation. Here are some of my many highlights of the trip. Let's keep it short and snappy!💜

  • When we first arrived in the Isle of Wight on Friday, we were shown into our cottage by one of the workers called Sally. My mum and dad went shopping for some food afterwards, whilst me and my sister had showers and got settled in. When my sister was in the shower, I went exploring around the house for a bit and as I looked around the garden, I saw the head of a black and white bird sticking out of a nest on the wall. I thought it was a swallow when it flew out but my dad reckoned it was a swift because it was quite small. It had baby chicks in the nest and it flew up occasionally to feed them. There were also some horses in the field and the owners had two dogs called Skye and Mupp, as well as one cat called Trevor. I liked seeing all the wildlife and animals.
  • On Saturday, we went for lunch at a lovely pub near Freshwater called the Highdown Inn. We had just come from the beach and we wanted some nice, fresh seafood to eat and the pub had excellent service. We sat outside to eat and the tables were spread far apart. Although the food was a little late in coming in, the food was really nice and the waiters and waitresses were really nice to talk to. I had a really tasty crab salad. My mum and my sister had scallops and chips, and my dad had mackerel and veg. It all looked delicious and it was a thumbs up from the family.👍
  • On Sunday, we went to the south of the island and had a nice walk along the coast of Ventnor. It was a bit rainy so we bought umbrellas and strolled along the promenade. Although it was a built-up place, the sea was still wild and it was lovely to look at. There was a model that was set up along the promenade that demonstrated the distance between the planet's in our solar system, in proportion to the distance of the walk. It was a bit confusing, but still fun to see how far some planets were away from the sun.😂We also saw some cute seaside houses on the way.

Ventnor


  • On Monday, we went fossil hunting on the beach of Compton bay. What a wonderful beach it was! If you don't like wild coastlines then I wouldn't suggest going here but me and my family absolutely loved it. There was a beautiful white cliff that stretched all the way down to Freshwater and the sand was almost black with a tinge of orange sandstone. You could take a short walk by the sea and randomly come across fossils of old wood, scattered across the floor. My mum, who seems to be naturally good at finding fossils, found a fossil of wood with some iron pyrite or fool's gold on it. I managed to find some too and I'll probably add it to my collection of rocks and stones that I've collected on my holidays. As well as this, we found loads of flat stones by the cliff that had some fossils of shells on them. It was strange how flat and smooth the shape of the stones were but you could see the fossils on them quite clearly. Me and  my sister also went for a short dip in the sea but we didn't stay for very long because it was quite cold.😂
  • On Tuesday afternoon, me and my family went to visit one of my dad's colleague's nieces. She was 11 years old and we went to see her and her uncle after she'd finished school. Although we were told by the girl that it was busy, we went for a walk along Shanklin beach anyway, since we'd never seen it before. It wasn't our favourite beach because it was full of tourists but I enjoyed sitting on the sand and watching the sea whilst I was eating my chocolate ice-cream. We talked to the girl for a bit about school and life in general, before we got back in the car and drove to see her mother. She was the sister of the uncle and she was a really nice lady, who gave us recommendations of places to visit on the island. It was really funny because their dog was all over my mum who isn't really much of a dog person! He must have sensed that my mum didn't give him much attention. 😂 Anyway, it was nice to finally meet my dad's friend's family. They were really nice to talk to.

Shanklin
  • On Wednesday, we went for a long walk up a cliff to see the island's famous Needles. These were a beautiful series of small  rock faces that stuck up from the seabed, looking out to the southern coast of England. We took a lot of photos and although it was difficult, we thoroughly enjoyed the walk. However, what I enjoyed the most was the relaxing beach barbeque that we had in the evening of that day. We bought a throwaway barbeque from the shops and we ate sausages and chicken on the beach of Compton Bay. We bought some snacks and vegetable sticks with us and we ate whilst looking at the pretty evening sea view. The tide was out and you could just about see the sunset on the horizon. What a great experience! 
The Needles


Beach barbeque


  • On our last day on Thursday, we went to the east side of the island and went to see the marina in Bembridge. Whilst we were walking by the marina, we saw these really cool boat houses. They were massive and up for sale as holiday homes. We thought that they were amazing and we were considering renting one for the next time we went to the Isle of Wight. However, after that, we went to this really nice pub called the Crab and Lobster Inn. Not only was their crab and lobster really nice, but they had a view that probably beat the views that you would see at many Michelin star restaurants. A crisp view of the ocean is all we could see and it was lovely to spend our final meal out on the Isle of Wight in style.
Boat houses


Sea view

And that's pretty much it. We spent part of Friday looking for red squirrels on the island before we left but we were sadly unable to find any. Let's hope that next time we'll be more lucky! 

Have you ever been to the Isle of Wight before? What's your favourite holiday memory? Let me know in the comments below and I'll be sure to reply to them. I ♡ hearing from you!

Tap one of the reaction boxes below to let me know what you thought of this post. It would really help me to make some improvements in the future! 

Be sure to follow and subscribe so that you don't miss anymore of my brilliant posts and share this article with a friend who might enjoy it too! 

See you next time, 

Bye, 

XOX, Juliette

My social media handles:

My second blog:

Previous post:

Comments

Followers

Popular posts from this blog

100 years later- Gone but never forgotten- Remembrance day special

What I got for Christmas 2017

My goals mood board- Lifestyle Monday

Finding something new to study