Movie review: I am Sam - Lifestyle Monday

Hello everybody and welcome back to another blog post, 

Recently, I rewatched one of my favourite movies called I am Sam. It stars the actors Sean Penn (as Sam Dawson), Dakota Fanning (as Lucy Dawson), and Michelle Pfeiffer (as Rita Harrison). I began watching this when I was quite young, around the age of 7 years old. I realise now that that was probably too young because the film was actually rated a 12 but I can't exactly remember my parent's reasoning for allowing me and my sister to watch the film. However, I did know that the storyline was very moving. The basic synopsis of the film is that Sam Dawson, an autistic man working on a small wage at Starbucks, has a child called Lucy with a homeless woman. After Lucy is born, the mother abandons her daughter and leaves Sam to take care of her. Although this seems to be okay at first, with Lucy growing up fast, Sam with the IQ of a 7 year old, can't help Lucy with her school work in the way other parents can. The school becomes concerned that Lucy is behind on her education and decides to have her fostered, and Sam tries to fight in court to have Lucy under his care again. I highly doubt that I understood everything the first time that I watched it but it was fun to look back on it later on. What I liked the most about this film was that they blended the Beatles soundtracks into the storyline of the film, the most obvious being Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds, to take us through the history of Lucy growing up. It makes you more empathetic towards Sam's situation and it also added a light-hearted element to film that took a nice edge off the gravity of the situation. It was a brilliant performance from Sean Penn and I also really loved the performance of his friends in the film who also had learning difficulties because they were so incredibly supportive of Sam. This helped establish the main themes of the film which are sincerity and love despite differences, which is what made the film so moving. Some movie critics might say that some of the elements of the film weren't realistic enough but I found that if I didn't focus so much on that, I could enjoy the film for what it was. It is a brilliant film that I would highly recommend anyone to watch if you haven't already.

Movieclips Classic Trailers


Have you watched I am Sam before? Let me know in the comments below and I'll be sure to reply to them. I ♡ hearing from you!

Tap one of the reaction boxes below to let me know what you thought of this post. It would really help me to make some improvements in the future!

Be sure to follow and subscribe so that you don't miss any more of my brilliant posts and share this article with a friend who might enjoy it too!

See you next time, 

Bye,

XOX, Juliette 

Video channel links:

My social media handles:

My second blog:

Previous post:

Comments

  1. I have never seen this film, but now I am going to look it up and see if I can find it to watch it. Thanks for the great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's been out for a while and it is American so I would recommend watching it. It is really good! :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving your comments! I really enjoy reading your positive and constructive messages. They really make my day! 💜

Followers

Popular posts from this blog

100 years later- Gone but never forgotten- Remembrance day special

Finding something new to study

What I got for Christmas 2017

Entering the real world - Lifestyle Monday