Teaching dance weekly, going back to studio classes + practising lifts - My Trip to Tanzania (Post 14) - Dance Saturday

Hello everybody and welcome back to another blog post,

Today, I'm going to be updating you on all the things that I'm currently doing in dance, as part of a mini dance diary entry. I hope you enjoy!πŸ™‚πŸ’œ

As I've mentioned last Saturday, I'm now doing weekly street dance classes with a girl called Ivy, who joined my Easter and February half term street dance workshops that I hosted as part of my fundraising for Tanzania. We began the sessions on Tuesday this week at 4:30pm and it was a really fun hour-long session. I did a warm up and a cool down and I included some elements of technique in the class; we worked on our splits and general flexibility. Just some more in depth dance elements that I thought would really improve her performance. I also taught a new routine to the song Now or Later by Sage the Gemini. It was really challenging because it was really fast and quite technical but I think Ivy really enjoyed it nevertheless. I'm glad I get to work with her on her dancing because she is a really nice student to work with and she always gives 110%, which I love. All in all, it was a really fun street dance class to teach and hopefully I can acrue some more students in the future! (Just to let you know, it's never too late to join in!πŸ˜‰)

*

Another update from me is that on Thursday, I went back to in-person ballroom and Latin dancs classes at my dance studio, Colours of Dance, in Cambridge. Before Easter, I had been trying to learn the quickstep over Zoom in the extension of my house, and it was not easy. Firstly, although I was practising in the biggest space that I had, the quickstep is a dance that requires you to travel a lot around the room and I still couldn't really do that within the small confines of my living room. Secondly, whilst dancing virtually has allowed me to start up some of my own classes, I found that dancing ballroom and Latin in this way was really difficult because I couldn't master the exact footwork that was required through the teaching on the computer screen. As a result, I found it a real blessing to finally go back to the studio because I was able to dance properly, without having all these technical issues. It was a bit tiring because Thursday happens to be one of my busiest school days but it was definitely nice to be back.

*

An update from me with regards to my college dancing, is that we are practising lifts. Although I do ballroom and Latin outside of school, we mostly focus on partner work and we don't do many challenging lifts, so the prospect of doing them was exciting (at first). I guess after taking a few classes practising my lifts, I have found that I'm neither good at being the lifter or the person being lifted. I'm not good at lifting other people because I have zero arm strength and most importantly, I have zero core strength so I have to desperately try and not drop anyone whilst I'm lifting. I'm also not good at being lifted because of the same exact reasons. I have zero arm strength and zero core strength so I have to try and not fall and hurt myself. Now that I'm mentioning that, I have developed a minor injury during our rock 'n' roll class that we did today. We were doing one of those trust falls where one person has to fall back whilst the other catches them. I was doing the catching and I felt a muscle go in my upper arm and it kind of hurt when I was trying to write some answers to exam-style questions in history, so that wasn't fun. πŸ˜‚πŸ’œ However, I know that I probably hurt myself because I was not using the right muscles to lift my partner. Had I used my core as the main leverage, perhaps that wouldn't have happened. Anyway, it's a learning curve and I will get better with more practise. It has made me understand how the celebrity dancers on Strictly Come Dancing feel when they start doing lifts because they are difficult!

Anyway, I hope you enjoyed reading through my dance updates! A lot has happened and I thought that I would fill you in on my life.

How has your dance life or general life been going for you? Let me know in the comments below, or via Instagram/Facebook, and I'll be sure to reply to them. I absolutely ♡ to hear from you!

Be sure to follow and subscribe so that you don't miss any more of my brilliant posts and share this article with a friend who might enjoy it too!

See you next time, 

Bye,

XOX, Juliette

P.S. You can read my article on my experience doing the Lessons from Auschwitz Online Project, below. It is really interesting and informative and I'm sure you'll enjoy reading it!πŸ‘‡⬇️

My social media handles:

My second blog:

Previous post:

Comments

Followers

Popular posts from this blog

100 years later- Gone but never forgotten- Remembrance day special

What I got for Christmas 2017

My goals mood board- Lifestyle Monday

Finding something new to study