Collective responsibility is predicated on "self-responsibility" - Writing Wednesday

Hello everybody and welcome back to another blog post, 

Although there has always been a notion that we should endeavour to look after each other, collective responsibility has arguably never been talked about as much as it has been talked about in today's modern society. As an individual, I recognise the importance of helping others who are in need of being helped because I understand that not everyone was born into the same privileged circumstances that I was fortunate enough to have been born into. Hence why, although I admit that I'm not the world's best charity-giver, I have perhaps taken up the job that I have of being a support worker and helping those families with Down's Syndrome relatives who are in need of help. Not only is it a highly rewarding experience, I find that it is also an excellent way to give back to the community. However, I have also recently grappled with the notion in my mind that collective responsibility is in some ways still predicated on people's ability and willingness to become "self-responsible." Some people would have us believe that collective responsibility is simply society coming together to aid in each other's success but to me, it means more than that. For in order to become responsible for those around you, you have to first become responsible for yourself so that you're then strong enough to become the support mechanism that other people need. My definition of collective responsibility would therefore be - strong, self-responsible individuals coming together to help others become more strong and self-responsible. This idea is very much similar to the belief of "learning to organise your life before telling others to organise theirs" because not only is to do otherwise, very hypocritical, you cannot help someone rethink their life if you have not found a way to rethink your own. You need to have the strength and practise in order to change someone else. This is why, I value and prioritise the responsibility of oneself over it's collective alternative. Not only does it make people more resilient to any challenge that they may encounter, it also makes them strong enough to help those around them to become more resilient. We are all made up of the strength that society needs so we need to come together as individuals to create the strength that others need.

What do you think? Let me know in the comments below and I'll be sure to reply to them. I ♡ hearing from you!

Be sure to click the follow button below to keep up to date with my posts!

See you next time, 

Bye,

XOX, Juliette 

My social media handles:

My second blog:

Previous post:

Comments

Followers

Popular posts from this blog

What I got for Christmas 2017

100 years later- Gone but never forgotten- Remembrance day special

My goals mood board- Lifestyle Monday

Finding something new to study