An inspirational dancer I wish to talk about, Misty Copeland- Dance Saturday

Hello everybody and welcome back to another blog post,

There are so many amazing dancers out there but today I would like to talk about just one and I'm sure many of you have already heard of her. Misty Copeland. She was the first African American woman to be promoted to principal dancer in ABT's 75-year history. What's even more amazing was that she only started ballet at the age of 13. Despite her mother fighting legal custody issues over her, Copeland became an award-winning dancer and was working with other professional dancers. Whilst legal proceedings to do with her mother were dropped, Copeland moved home to study with a new teacher who was a former ABT member.

Copeland was born in Kansas City, Missouri but was raised in San Pedro community of Los Angeles, California. Her father, Doug Copeland, was of German and African American descent whilst her mother Sylvia DelaCerna is of Italian and African-American ancestry and was adopted by African American parents. She was the youngest of 4 children from her mother's second marriage. Growing up, Copeland didn't see much of her own father. Copeland began her ballet studies at the age of 13 at the San Pedro Dance Center. After 3 months study, Copeland was en Pointe.

Have you ever heard of Misty Copeland? Let me know in the comments below and I'll be sure to reply to them. I ♡ hearing from you!

See you next time,

Bye,

XOX, Juliette

My social media handles:
My Instagram
My YouTube channel

My second blog:
The Book Hub

Comments

Followers

Popular posts from this blog

100 years later- Gone but never forgotten- Remembrance day special

What I got for Christmas 2017

My goals mood board- Lifestyle Monday

Finding something new to study