Oh dear Parsnip - Writing Wednesday

Hello everybody and welcome back to another blog post,

If you've read my recent Instagram post, you'll know that one of our chickens, Parsnip, has unfortunately managed to injure herself. I never thought I'd become such a chicken mother and I certainly never thought that my own mother, who is not normally a cuddly animal person, would find herself cooing at a limping chicken.😂 But yes, Parsnip is limping and I guess it did give us a bit of a scare. 

If anything, Parsnip was technically our newest addition as we'd got Sunday and Roast first (yes, we've named them after the full roast dinner but you know). Anyway, since we hadn't had her for that long, we were aware that it might be so bad that she'd have to die. This would probably be the case if she'd broken a bone. Chickens are very good at hiding their pain and we certainly didn't want her to suffer. However, luckily, it didn't seem to be that serious as what may have been causing her so much bother was probably her swollen foot. 

Again, this is something else that I never really knew but I guess that chickens do have personalities because Parsnip is definitely the over-zealous one out of all of them. She likes to do quote-on-quote "acrobatics" and jump on the gate of the chickens' inside enclosure. I would imagine that if she was able to talk, she would probably say, "I'm at the top of the PECKING ORDER!" Yes, she's definitely queen but as my dad would say, she's a lady of a certain size, who likes steal any bit of food that she can find. So when the gate decided to swing back when she jumped off it, it is highly likely that she hit her foot hard on her disgraceful descent. We've had to secure the gate for safety.

Ever since that episode, me and my sister have been giving her salt and vinegar baths to sooth the swelling and to clean her feet, just incase she was in pain due to nasty worms underneath her scales. However, it seems unlikely. We've also isolated her behind a windbreak to stop her from getting pushed around by the others and we've allowed her to walk around the garden a bit as she probably wouldn't go very far anyway. It was all a bit dramatic because Parsnip managed to escape isolation (how relatable) and the others kept squawking because they wanted some attention too. Don't worry, we did give them a little stroke too.




Parsnip seems to be doing a lot better now and she does seem to be able to get up the ladder to her pen to sleep and lay. However, nothing is certain yet so we keep our fingers crossed and hope that she's not for the pot!

Do you have chickens? What's your favourite animal? Let me know in the comments below and I'll be sure to reply to them. I ♡ hearing from you! 

Tap one of the reaction boxes below to let me know what you thought of this post. It would really help me to make some improvements in the future! 

Be sure to follow and subscribe so that you don't miss anymore of my brilliant posts and share this article with a friend who might enjoy it too! 

See you next time, 

Bye,

XOX, Juliette

My social media handles:

My second blog:

My previous post:

Comments

Followers

Popular posts from this blog

Is trophy hunting an acceptable thing to do?- Writing Wednesday

How can we help our planet?-Juju

Writing with my right hand vs writing with my left hand - The Ambidextrous Challenge

How to confidently talk to people and make new relations-Writing Wednesday