Helping the environment - Writing Wednesday

Hello everybody and welcome back to another blog post, 

Last week, I helped some of my friends from sixth form, do a litter picking of the school grounds. Some of you might already know this but for those of you who don't, one of my friends started an environmental awareness group as part of a group CAS project that included me and some of my other friends. In this group, we endeavour to look after our planet and our local environment by spreading information on things like climate change and wildlife destruction, as well as the initiatives that different groups of people have created to help the environment, in order to spread the message of change in a positive way. As I've mentioned before, I'm a firm believer in changing your own actions and educating yourself, before preaching activism to others, and what better way to do that than to do a litter picking of the school grounds? The very fact that we had to do litter picking meant that not enough people were choosing to pick up their rubbish and throw it in the bin. Admittedly, Cambridge is located in the Fens so the surrounding area is rather flat. This means that when there's a gust of wind, it really does come out in full force and rubbish in over-flowing bins can easily fly out. However, there was so much that I had to pick out, it was actually rather astonishing. It couldn't have all come from overflowing bins. The hedges and bushes were the worst as they were covered in crisp packets, bits of broken plastic, and bottle caps, it was all quite difficult to pick up. On the surface, everything looked clean and tidy, but as you looked deeper, all you could see was more litter. I felt so much better in myself for cleaning it out because it was a relief not to see any rubbish in the bushes. For a long time, I've been watching those selfless litter picking volunteers, tirelessly cleaning up after other people. I never once did it properly myself but once I had, I found it very rewarding, giving back to the environment. It made me realise even more, the importance of action and being willing to take it on yourself. The problem with excess litter is that we expect others to clean it up for us. Perhaps if we had to do it ourselves, we wouldn't be dropping so much litter on the floor in the first place.

Have you ever done any litter picking? Let me know in the comments below (or via Instagram/Facebook) and I'll be sure to reply to them. I ♡ hearing from you!

Be sure to follow and subscribe so that you don't miss any more of my brilliant posts and share this article with a friend who might enjoy it too!

See you next time,

Bye,

XOX, Juliette

My social media handles:

My second blog:

Previous post:

Comments

Followers

Popular posts from this blog

My goals mood board- Lifestyle Monday

Finding something new to study

The cotton industry and its effects on our planet- Writing Wednesday

Being a model and role model are two separate things