All about: Jordan Matter - Dance Saturday

Hello everybody and welcome back to another blog post, 

I wouldn't really say that I'm much of a photography person. Me and my sister did a great photography workshop with Stella last year and although it was really fun and I learnt a lot from it, it was only then that I realised just how much it takes to capture an amazing image. The lighting, angles, and most importantly, the story, have to shine through in order to create the best photograph. I would say that I'm much better at taking photos and I will say that when I do get it right, it looks amazing and really professional, but I will also say that I'm no artist. It's really because of this intricacy in photography, that I therefore find Jordan Matter's work, so amazing. 

If you haven't heard of Jordan Matter before, he is a well-known dance photographer, who has developed his name through his YouTube channel, which now has over 4 million subscribers. His most popular videos are his 10 Minute Photo Challenges, where he attempts to take as many photos as possible, of these amazing artists, in public, within the 10 minute time-frame. One of his most popular 10 Minute Photo Challenge videos, is the collaboration he did with contortionist, Sofie Dossi, who busted the photo challenge record with 13 photos. However, Jordan also did another amazing photo challenge video, with the circus artists from Cirque du Soleil, who performed these frightening stunts and amazing acrobatic tricks. The circus duo, Charlotte and Nicolas, performed a dare devil stunt where Charlotte was lifted up by Nicolas and thrown into the air, where she was caught by her partner upside down! This was all captured on video and through the amazing photograph that Jordan took of it. Despite it being so quick, Jordan manages to take these photos of these artists at exactly the right time, which I think is the reason why he's so talented.

Jordan Matter⬇



As well as this, Jordan has uploaded other popular videos, that featured the talented dancers from Dance Moms, as well as some inspirational dancers, who have overcome all the odds to achieve their dreams. Although I'm not a huge fan of the show Dance Moms, Jordan has taken amazing photographs of these dancers. One of my favourite videos of him that featured a member of the cast, was his collaboration with dancer, Nia Sioux, who was their to take a risk and open up about body confidence. As she grew up on the show, Nia was constantly in the public eye and when her body weight changed as she grew older, many scrutinized the way that she looked. However, after seeing the photos that Jordan took, I really think that it changed public perceptions about her and she really embodied confidence not just in her body but also herself. I thought this was really inspirational.



Another inspirational video that Jordan Matter did, was the one that featured the amazing dancer and cancer patient, Aliyah Petrone. She was on her 4th round of chemo therapy and because of her condition, she was unable to leave the hospital so Jordan went to visit her instead. She was diagnosed with leukaemia at around 18 years old and despite being really ill, Aliyah used her dancing as a way to express herself and stay strong. After posting an amazing photo herself on Instagram, where she did a tilt whilst holding onto her drip bag, Jordan decided to re-create that photo of Aliyah during his visit and it has to be one of my favourites. It is so simple, yet it captures so much of her life story, at the same time. It was amazing! I'm so glad that Aliyah is back to being a competing, first-place dancer.


Although Jordan is a bit of a rule-breaker, as he takes photos inside shops and museums, where he often not allowed to take photos, this is what makes his photography style so iconic. If you see a photo of a dancer doing an amazing trick in an ordinary setting, you'll probably know that Jordan took that photo. Although people often stop and stare during his crazy photo shoots, it's because of his unique style, quirky attitude, and slightly rebellious nature, that so many people now love dance. He has changed the dance world because no one does what he does and that's what makes him so original. Who knew that taking photos of dancers would be so popular?

Jordan now has a photography book, that features all these dancers. It's called Born to Dance and it's an amazing series of books that you can order here, if you're interested!

Have you ever heard of Jordan Matter? What's your favourite thing about his photography or photography in general? Let me know in the comments below and I'll be sure to reply to them. I ♡ hearing from you! 

Tap one of the reaction boxes below to let me know what you thought of this post. It would really help me to make some improvements in the future! 

Be sure to follow and subscribe so that you don't miss anymore of my brilliant posts and share this article with a friend who might enjoy it too! 

See you next time,

Bye,

XOX, Juliette

P.S. Stay tuned for my next post since I'll be talking all about the Britain's Got Talent winners and hip hop dance group, Diversity! 

Video channel links:

My social media handles:

My second blog:

Previous post:

Comments

Followers

Popular posts from this blog

100 years later- Gone but never forgotten- Remembrance day special

Finding something new to study

What I got for Christmas 2017

Entering the real world - Lifestyle Monday