Life After Sixth Form (Post 1): Creating a personal statement for dance courses - Dance Saturday

Hello everybody and welcome back to another blog post,

(Or should I say, welcome to post number 1 of Life After Sixth Form?) πŸ˜‚ Yes, it feels a little bit weird talking about my future plans now for when I leave sixth form in 2022, but I thought it would be the right time to start this series as year 12 is already drawing to a close and I will be entering my final year of college in September!😬 Scary times. On this series, I will just be updating you on what I'm doing to prepare for when I leave (e.g. looking at potential plans, writing personal statements, visiting universities, taking exams, and finding out where I want to be when I graduate) and hopefully I can look back on my journey in a year's time and see how far I've come.

In today's post however, I will be talking about how I'm getting on with writing my personal statement for dance courses that I could potentially apply for. Right now, I think it's still a bit up in the air about what it is that I really want to do in the future. I did mention a couple months ago maybe doing a combined honours degree in dance and history but I searched everywhere for a course like that and have been unsuccessful. As a result, I think that I should just apply for dance courses at the moment since dance is my main passion. My plan is to create my personal statement and send it off to the universities that I'm applying for just to give me as many options for the future, even if I choose not to go to university after sixth form.

Last week on Friday, I got sucked into attending this session about writing personal statements because Maia really wanted to go in case it was useful. It was delivered by an Oxford graduate student and it turns out that some of the things that he said were pretty useful. He suggested that as well as mentioning the extracurricular activities that you do, you should also mention these things called super-curriculars which are like books, films, and articles that inspired you to pursue a particular subject area. He also suggested of thinking of a particular event in the past that inspired you to want to take on a subject area further. 

I've started to write my dance personal statement and these are some of the things that I'm keeping in mind. I think that I'm going to mention what inspired me to start dancing when I was young, all the dance classes that I've taken alongside my studies, and some of the books on dance that have genuinely inspired me to take dance further. I think that a university personal statement is pretty much similar to a sixth form personal statement with adding in your strengths and weaknesses, it's just a bit more subject-specific because you want to prove to that university that you have a passion for what you want to do. I think it's all about selling yourself positively and proving to the university that you're the right student and that they should pick you.

Have you ever written a university personal statement before? Let me know in the comments below and I'll be sure to reply to them. I ♡ hearing from you!

Be sure to click the follow button below to keep up to date of when I post!

See you next time, 

Bye,

XOX, Juliette 

My social media handles:

My second blog:

Previous post:

Comments

Followers

Popular posts from this blog

What I got for Christmas 2017

100 years later- Gone but never forgotten- Remembrance day special

My goals mood board- Lifestyle Monday

Finding something new to study